Quality Hit Counters Take Us Higher!

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Sample Versus The Original

A lot of people question why some producers sample. I cannot speak for every sample based producer, but the reason I sample is because I cannot produce a good sounding original beat. Some cats who make original beats don't know the first thing about sampling, then you got your chosen few who can do both.

Some question the sample. "Why do you sample if you can't make money from it?" It's about the music to most. You can't get sued by the original artist you sampled unless you sell the newer material.

original beats vs sampled beats Pictures, Images and Photos

Don't sleep on sample based producers like there's no work involved. Chopping a sample, and getting it to loop right is an acquired skill. I can make it look easy because I know my program without looking at it, literally. You really have to give props to old school producers like Dr.Dre, Pete Rock and RZA. They layered at least two or three different samples in one beat and you wouldn't know the wiser.

My favorite original beatmakers are The Runners and Timbaland, who have been caught sampling/interpolating, and Mr.Bangladesh and The Neptunes. It takes skills to make original beats that are catchy and change up as well. My uncle, Seth Boogie, is a master of both sampling and making originals. They're dope either way. My other uncle, I won't state his name, you might steal it, is the master of original beats.  He'll shit on you and your whole crew, lyrically or beat-ally.

Sometimes, you can catch producers who boast originality stealing elements of older music, and that's okay. For instance: I was going through my Beatles music and stumbled upon "Wild Honey Pie", which sorta reminds me of Lupe Fiasco's "I Gotcha", produced by The Neptunes.




YouTube is wack by the way, you can't get any of their videos.....

My opinion, original beats are more for club/regular rappers, samples are more for lyrical or conscious emcees. Not to say rappers and emcees can't rap on other beats, but that's how it's been for a while now, you know?

I'm out...

P.E.A.C.E

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit