Quality Hit Counters Take Us Higher!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hip-Hop's Hottest Choruses

The E-M-P believes the key to a great song goes as follows, tight beat, at least two hot verses, decent bridge(optional, especially in M.T. Bag's case), and most importantly, THE CHORUS.

You may know the chorus as the hook, the refrain, the gist, whatever you call it, it is the key to a great rap song. You know when people go, how does the song go, they always seem to remember the bits of the hook? The chorus explains what your song is about, if your hook isn't good, odds are, your song must really suck. Many classic emcees usually avoid rapped choruses like Rakim, Guru, CL Smooth and Common. Common is my favorite no-hook user because the beats he uses are smooth and jazzy, allowing you to vibe a little without his voice. So, what are the best Hip-Hop choruses in Empathy's opinion, you must be dying to know...

These choruses have been chosen for lyricism or the for their ability to make you jam, or their just damned addicting...

http://www.danspaintshop.com/Eminem_Infinite.jpg
Eminem "Infinite" off of 1996's Infinite:

"You heard of hell, well I was sent from it
I went to it servin' a sentence for murdering instruments
Now I'm trying to repent from it
But when I hear the beat I'm tempted to make another attempt at it...
I'm Infinite
(Scratching)
Time is, time is, money(2x)"

This is possibly the best hook I've ever heard from Eminem, it combines the compound syllables I like to hear so much and it's kinda deep. I also like the scratch, it was well scratched, though it's irrelevant to the song.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000067CLT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Black Star "Respiration ft. Common" off of Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are Black Star (1999)

"So much on my mind that it can't recline
Blastin holes in the night til she bled sunshine
Breathe in, inhale vapors from bright stars that shine
Breathe out, weed smoke retrace the skyline
Heard the bass ride out like an ancient mating call
I can't take it y'all, I can feel the city breathin
Chest heavin, against the flesh of the evenin
Sigh before we die like the last train leavin"

I like how the hook was put over the beat, the instrumentation is beautiful. The image created by the lyrics is magnificent. "....city breathin, chest heavin, against the flesh of the evenin", basically, the horizon, you know, the skyline of the city intertwined with the sky, that's beautiful.
http://www.netweed.com/prohiphop/graf/kanyewestgraduation.jpg
Kanye West "Homecoming ft. Chris Martin of Coldplay" from Graduation (2007)

"Do you think about me now and then?
Do you think about me now and then?
Cause I'm coming home again
Coming home again
Do you think about me now and then?
Do you think about me now and then?
Oooh, now I'm coming home again"

Ok, not rapped, but it's still a catchy ass hook, possibly the best chorus on the Graduation album next to "Barry Bonds". It's self-explanatory, he's coming home, duh...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J8xgrfAhL._SS500_.jpg
Nas "Nas is Like..." from 1999's I Am...

"Nas is like life or death.. I'm a rebel.. "
"My poetry's deep, I never fell.."
"Nas is like.. half man half amazing.."
"No doubt.."

Nas called in the help of DJ Premeir to scratch up something mean for him, taking various samples from Illmatic verses, the "Nas Is Like..." chorus goes down as my favorite because of how well it was put together.

http://i021.radikal.ru/0801/2b/5a9a1bb2b6d6.jpg
Canibus "Genabis" from Rip The Jacker(2003)

"Yo, Genabis, Exobus, Levitibus
There aint a mic on this planet I'm restricted to touch
I ripped the cosmos, what God wrote predicted as much
The inhabitants lack faith but resistance is tough"

The chorus doesn't mean shit to the naked ear, but you have to understand Canibus' mindstate. Often, you can catch Canibus getting his Dennis Miller on, rambling useless facts nobody cares about, he's actually where I got a fragment of my style from, but I made it mean something. The Bus man, he gets kudos from this chorus because it's one of few choruses he has put on a song and it wasn't uber violent.
http://jameslogancourier.org/media/1/20061006-inmymind.jpg
Pharrell "How Does It Feel?" off of In My Mind(2006)

"We just picture, thinkin, dreamin, schemin, breathin, readin, all in the late night
Shakin, boilin, lacin, bakin, shakin, shapin, gotta get this cake right
As I serve it, you just burn it, breathe it, learn it, now watch you take flight
...My nigga how does it feel?
Ha ha! Yezzir!"

This is an amusing chorus, because no matter how many times Pharrell claims to not be a gangster, he always refers to drugs or shots ringing out in his lyrics, odd... I love how it was delivered over the beat....'til this day, people still sleep on this album, it REALLY WASN'T THAT BAD!
http://z.about.com/d/rap/1/0/N/8/-/-/YoungJeezyTheIinspiration.jpg
Young Jeezy "J.E.E.Z.Y" from 2006's The Inspiration

"Jeezy like to drink
Jeezy like to smoke
Jeezy like to mix arm and hammer with his coke
Jeezy at the trap
Jeezy like to grind
Jeezy bout his paper
Cuz Jeezy like to shine
"

It's the most simplistic hook of all time, but I love how it was said. Apparently, it was thought provoking too. These chicks from my old school were like, "Does he really drink his Coke with Arm&Hamer?", 'til I had to tell them it was a reference to cooking crack. Good times!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/396808206_fed746fbec.jpg
Supreeme "Supernatural Powers" from Supremacy (2006)

"Every hour, on the hour,I devour cowards
Who would rather cower than collide with supernatural powers
Why I write? Why I rhyme?
Why do I do this rap shit?
While I'm grabbin' these tits
I just tell 'em this...(2x)"

The rhythm involved in how this chorus was said is what sets it off, along with how each member is assigned to say the chorus before their verses, it's just excellent chemistry.
http://z.about.com/d/rap/1/0/r/9/-/-/PuffDaddyNoWayOut.jpg
Puff Daddy "Victory ft. The Notorious B.I.G and Busta Rhymes" from No Way Out (1997)

"We got the real live shit from front to back
To my people in the world, where the fuck you at?
Where my niggaz is at? (2x)
Where the fuck my bitches at?
Where my bitches is at?
(repeat all 2x)"

Busta came through and made it super hype, this has to be my favorite hook of all time, that beat was dope as hell and the way it broke down at the end with the bell and the hook keeps going, it's enough to send chills down your spine.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BJS4P8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
The Notorious B.I.G "Breakin' Old Habits ft. Slim Thug and T.I" from The Biggie Duets:The Final Chapter(2005)

"You got rich and G shit is still a part of you
Cause breakin old habits so hard to do
You still watch for the haters and the robbing crew
Cause breakin old habits so hard to do
Went on shot that nigga like I started to
Cause breakin old habits so hard to do
Fresh out the dealership crackin open cigars in the coupe
Man cause breakin old habits so hard to do"

T.I performed this hook and I'm certain he wrote it.
I like this hook because it proves T.I isn't ALWAYS monotonous with the way he does his
hooks, he uses a lot of repetition, I dig it!

Man, oh, man!

The E-M-P'll Say P.E.A.C.E

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit