Quality Hit Counters Take Us Higher!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Auto-Tune DOOM

Well, it took a while,but I can finally agree with Ace Boogie. Boogie is not a supporter of the Auto-Tune movement, he believes it's like rap steroids. He says the use of it is cheating, making one sound as if they can sing when they can't.

I tried to get into the movement myself, but could never manage to get it to work. Not even after reading the most recent issue of XXL Magazine was I convinced about how abused the plugin is abused.

It all started back in 2005 with T-pain's debut, "I'm Sprung". I was the only person in my generation who didn't instantly fall in love with the robot sound. I found it annoying, but the more and more I heard from T-Pain, the fad eventually set with me.

I respected the man for doing his own thing and selling ass loads of records.

2008 represents the turning point.

In '07, I downloaded Lil' Wayne's Da Drought is Over 4. Any Weezanya fan knows how much he used the auto-tune on this joint. "Rider","I Took Her", and "I Like It". The plugin was later used on his real album's music, "Lollipop". I believe this marked a downhill turn for the worse.

The Dream on his first track, "Shawty is a 10"

Later, other rappers followed suit, Yung Berg "The Business", and the list goes on: Gorilla Zoe, Tyga, Rick Ross, Tony Yayo, 50 and Lloyd Banks, LL Cool J, Snoop Dogg and Kanye West. Even some singers, R.Kelly, Neyo, Chris Brown, Rihanna, and Nelly Furtado. It just goes on and on.

The really funny thing about what's going today is, I haven't listened to the radio prior to today for over ten weeks. Jim Jones with his champagne song, the singer anyhow....

I sat in the passenger seat today bored off my ass. Everything sounds the same and I could only think about M.T. Bag and how much we don't sound like any of that shit.

Now, I can respect anybody using Auto-Tune that makes it sound good. That's why I'm not bothered by Kanye West's newest release "808s & Heartbreaks". I think his album is a breath of fresh air honestly. I dig how none of the beats are Hip-Hop and how he has a concept to the album. Plus he recorded the album in Hawaii; the area in which he recorded it had an area code of 808, it was meant to be.

Long story short, there are few cats who can pull of Auto-Tune in my book: T-Pain and Kanye West, Lil' Wayne entertains me thoroughly when he does it. This brings me to the five seconds Jay-Z used it on the "Put On(Remix", many of his die hard fans just knew he was gonna sell out until he said,"I don't need no T-Pain".

2008 is gonna go down as Auto-Tune year in my book. I'm gonna leave you with this beacause I think it's funny.



On that note....

The E-M-P'll say P.E.A.C.E

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit