Quality Hit Counters Take Us Higher!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

"Chi-Town's Nas"

Who? Lupe, Kanye? No, Mr.Common Sense himself. I was listening to Universal Mind Control yesterday on some drunk shit with the band and I was talkin' how Mr.Sense sold out with his new material....okay, maybe he didn't sell out, but admit compared to Finding Forever, he changed up on us. U.M.C as a whole isn't wack, there are too many Neptunes beats for that and it's Common we're talkin' about, but, all I'm saying is, he's done better. Creep with me....



File:Common - Can I Borrow a Dollar.jpg 
1992's Can I Borrow A Dollar?...Honestly, I don't like this album, the beats are hot though. A lot of the production was handled by Common's usual producer, No I.D., other production was by The Beatnuts. It produced singles, "Take It EZ","Breaker 1/9" and "Soul By The Pound". This album gives the listener a much different Common with a fast rappin', melodic, singing-esque delivery. Like EVERY track contains samples. It was said, this album put Chicago on the map, rap-wise, way to go!
File:Common - Resurrection.jpg
Resurrection (1994)- Due to the underrated-ness of his debut, Common decided to work on his sound. This trip, he enlisted No I.D. to produce the whole album, good choice, this is easily one of my favorite Common albums. This album only dropped two singles, the title track, "Resurrection" and a classic Hip-Hop song, "I Used To Love H.E.R".

**Side-story: Ace Boogie was listening to this song in the dorm while I was in the shower. I knew the song had ended because I heard a shrill ass, WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! He was like, how you gon' leave me alone with hot ass music? I kinda thought he heard it before...**

 When I iPod songs or whatever, I try not to stick closely to the singles, a track I put on every time the CD is in is, "Orange Pineapple Juice", he goes off lyrically. "Get on gone you p***y emcee/Steppin' to me/ With them dirty feets/ You'll get defeated/ Like Kunta Kinte/". Classic!

File:OneDayMakeSense.jpg
One Day It'll All Make Sense(1997)- This was another Billboard failure, Resurrection by now had only sold 2,000 copies, this album has sold around 250,000 copies, cool beans. A lot of No I.D. production and from Ynot and some other producers. I'ma be real, I don't like this album for real, not saying he wasn't saying anything, it just wasn't brought together yet in my book. "Retrospect For Life ft. Lauryn Hill", "Reminding Me(Of Sef)", and "All Night Long" are singles that came off this one. My favorite tracks from this one are "Retrospect For Life", "Hungry", and "Making A Name Fr Ourselves", this track introduced Canibus, proving Common is not a battle rapper.

 File:LikeWaterforChocolate.jpg
Like Water For Chocolate (2000)- The album title derives from the novel of the same name. The cover is by Gordon Parks called 1956 Alabama. This album has some of the most beautiful music by Common. A band by the name of Common Sense took Common Sense to court, claiming they had the name first. To avoid law troubles, Common Sense changed his name to Common. Hmm...it just so happens that my favorite tracks off the album happened to be singles "The 6th Sense" and "The Light". The album offers production by DJ Premeire and J Dilla.File:Common - electric circus.jpg
Electric Circus(2002)-This album offers production from J Dilla and The Neptunes, it wouldn't be the last time. Many of Common's fans complained about the change of his sound...I'ma be real again, totally not my favorite Com' album, but he kept his lyrics real, despite what he was rappin' on. You might remember the single off this one, "Come Close" with Mary J Blige, you know? The video where he's talkin' his mess to this deaf girl with flash cards........

File:Bealbum.jpg
Be(2005)- I picked this album up when it came out, I had always been a Common fan, but this was the first album of his I bought...If you bought a copy of this, you might remember the stickers on the plastic around the CD, saying "Classic" and all this good stuff. I was looking at the track list, eleven tracks...better be worth $13.99. Was it? Hell yes. The singles were killin' it, "The Corner", "Go!/Faithful", "Be", "The Food" and "Testify". Those songs were good, but my favorites really go out to "They Say" and "Chi-City" for top notch verses and production. It's a coincidence I like the album so much and Kanye West is the producer. J Dilla produced "Love Is..." and "It's Your World Pt 1 and 2" on the album. This album reached Gold and received an XXL/XXL from XXL Magazine. (For the illiterate, XXL's scale goes: S M L XL XXL, get it? 1 2 3 4 5)

File:Findingforever.jpg 
Finding Forever (2007)- Com' and 'Ye teamed up again during the filming of Smokin' Aces and American Gangster. The hype started with the first single "The Game", followed by "The People", the lesser known, "Drivin' Me Wild" and my favorite "I Want You" with will.i.am. J Dilla had been taken by a heart attack in '06 and one of his beats were used on this album, "So Far To Go". My favorite tracks, "Southside", "U, Black Maybe", "Break My Heart", and "Misunderstood". We got another Gold one.
File:Common-universal mind control.jpg
Universal Mind Control (2008)- Originally titled "Invincible Summer", but due to the pushing back of the release date, it was changed, for it would no longer be relevant. The album features heavy production from Mr.DJ and The Neptunes, no Kanye, but he makes a cameo appearance. I guess for the sake of breaking away from routine Mr.Common changed up his sound one mo' 'gain. If I was Common, I'd keep putting out Be's and Finding Forever's, the shit on this album doesn't go half as hard as Be did. Even Vibe Magazine gave this album a bad rating, and they like some of the dumbest music I've never heard of. Maybe we'll see a better effort from Chi-Town's Finest in the '09. Expect to see Com Sense as Jon Stewart, er, Green Lantern in the Justice League movie and playing Christian Bale's (John Connor's) right hand man in the next Terminator movie, Terminator: Salvation.


La Heim

The E-M-P'll Say P.E.A.C.E

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Spit Yo Game, Talk Yo Shit